sexta-feira, 31 de agosto de 2012

Paralympics 2012: Aled Davies wins shot put bronze for Britain

Aled Davies


Aled Davies secured Britain's first athletics medal of the 2012 Paralympics with bronze in the F42/F44 shot put.
The 21-year-old amputee saved his best effort until the last of his six attempts, when he recorded 961 points.
Team-mate and three-time gold medallist Stephen Miller finished 11th in the club competition.
Another member of ParalympicsGB, world record holder Hannah Cockroft, safely reached the final of the women's T34 100m (Friday, 20:00 BST).
Continue reading the main story
There were some big champions and world record holders so I knew I had to pull something big out of the bag
Aled DaviesParalympics GB shot put
Cockroft, 20, holds the world record in her category (17.60 seconds) and was a class apart in her heat. The athlete from Halifax in West Yorkshire pulled away over the final 30m metres to win easily.
But the biggest cheer of the morning session was reserved for Davies when he picked up his bronze medal.
"To be honest I didn't expect it," he told BBC Radio 5 live . "I'm just overwhelmed. I can't believe it, I honestly can't.
"I heard a lot of Olympians talk about the atmosphere. You cannot imagine and describe how electric it is in here.
"It was a really hard competition but I was confident. There were some big champions and world record holders so I knew I had to pull something big out of the bag."
Meanwhile, Shelly Woods qualified for the final of the women's T54 wheelchair 5,000m.
The Lancashire athlete, who won bronze four years ago in Beijing, claimed one of the three automatic qualifying spots following a fierce five-way battle during the final 50m.
Meanwhile, Miller said he was "gutted" with his performance in the F31/32/51 mixed classification club competition.
"I had a really bad day," said the 32-year-old athlete, who has cerebral palsy.
"I haven't had many bad days in my career so I guess I was due one - it's a shame it was in London.
"I'm gutted I couldn't put in a better performance on the day."

Source: British Broadcasting Corporation

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário